24th May 2022 16.30 – 18.00 (refreshments from 16.00) at Queen’s Medical Research Institute, Edinburgh
Register at: Registration pages
After a two year hiatus, the Centre for Inflammation Research is pleased to be hosting another in-person Supercytes Teacher Training Event with Prof. Donald J Davidson. Aimed at Primary 6/7 teachers and Secondary School Science/Biology teachers, this free interactive workshop will introduce participants to the Supercytes classroom resource.
Supercytes is a game-centred resource for teachers, targeting young learners aged 9-18 (using 3 different formats).
Teachers who attend the training event will have the opportunity to:
- gain hands-on experience learning to use the Supercytes card game
- secure a free resource pack of games, worksheets, cartoons, etc to use in your classroom
- hear our research scientists deliver the intro to immunology & inflammation presentation
- ask questions about the science
- apply this resource to teaching about COVID-19 (or other infections) and vaccines
Supercytes aims to:
- Facilitate enhanced, engaging teaching of immunology, inflammation and infectious disease biology by primary and secondary teachers.
- Incorporate interdisciplinary learning including numeracy, literacy, problem solving, working with others, and self-directed learning.
- Enhance collaboration with Universities, providing science capital and confidence in STEM careers to pupils from diverse backgrounds.
- Complement formal learning approaches with a fun, active, game-based approach, designed to reinforce key learning objectives.
- Deliver specific Scottish Curriculum for Excellence objectives in an accessible manner, with added value and differentiation opportunities.
The full resource features:
- Card games – designed to be genuinely fun, appeal to active learners and reinforce learning objectives in gameplay;
- Professional animations – engaging, easy to remember, highly accessible, yet scientifically accurate – to improve practitioner knowledge and enable differentiation;
- Quizzes – to assess learning outcomes;
- Worksheets – to enhance teaching and/or facilitate self-directed learning;
- Lesson plans – specifically integrated into Scottish Curriculum for Excellence Levels 2 – 4, National 5 and Higher;
- Teaching presentation materials – enhancing practitioner knowledge and providing specific teaching aids applicable to SCE, but also added value and aids for differentiation;
- Videos about medical research at University of Edinburgh Centre for Inflammation Research – highlighting diversity of researchers in our laboratories, to address unconscious bias and show medical research careers as real jobs for real people.
Resource packs are FREE to schools in Edinburgh and the Lothians and all trained teachers (regardless of school location; while stocks last) or can be purchased online.
All components are also freely downloadable under a Creative Commons Licence, on our dedicated interactive website.